14.9.10

O Gesto / The Gesture

Pois é, se me ponho a pensar no trabalho que está por detrás de cada desenho, faz-me lembrar um paragrafo que há tempos li em “The Elements of Drawing”, de John Ruskins, que já em 1857 tentava, basicamente, desmistificar noções como Liberdade associadas ao Desenho. Comenta como umas das características dos desenhos dos velhos mestres é a liberdade dos seus “gestos.” O que não quer dizer que os seus desenhos fossem obra do acaso ou que simplesmente deixaram-se levar e desenharam despreocupadamente; tal não pode estar mais longe da verdade, já que o desenho nunca é fruto de um acto despreocupado. Aquilo que nos parece um desenho sem esforço é na realidade um acto de esforço deliberado, onde há muito pouco espaço para a “liberdade.”

Lembro-me disto sempre que trabalho na rua, onde o esforço para me concentrar é ainda maior devido à pressão de desenhar em público.

Só queria deixar-vos com este pensamento antes de me perder e vos entediar com elementos mais práticos do desenho (espero bem que não).

Bons rabiscos... 

The Gesture

Well, if I think on the work that is behind each drawing, it reminds me of a paragraph that I read in times, in "The Elements of Drawing", by John Ruskins, “(…) What is usually so much sought after the term “freedom” is the character of the drawing of great master in a hurry, whose hand is so thoroughly disciplined, that when pressed for time  he can let it fly as it will, and will not go far wrong. But the hand of a great master at real work is never free: its swiftest dash is under perfect government. (…) You must never, therefore, aim at freedom. It is not required of your drawing that it should be free, but that should be right; in time you will be able to do right easily, and then your work will be free in the best sense; but there is no merit in doing wrong easily.”

I always remember this when working in public, where the effort to concentrate is increased by the pressure to draw in public.

Just wanted to leave you with this thought, before I lose myself in more technical elements of drawing.

Good scribbles...
 

Sem comentários: